3.28.2011

It's Lunchtime

As a stay-at-home mom, lunchtime has lost all of its novelty.  Because I try to be a good mom, I make sure to concentrate on providing the boy with a well-balanced meal that he is willing to eat, and after that exhausting task, I sometimes just nibble on what I'm fixing him as I prepare his plate.  Last week, I had one of those, "I'm not eating another pb & j/chicken nugget/ham sandwich/hot dog today!" moments.  So I raided the produce drawer and looked through the pantry and freezer to see what new thing I could conjure up.  What I threw together was so delicious, so nutricious, so not run-of-the-mill, that I made it again today and decided it's too good not to share.

Here's what went into it today (I really just put what I had on hand into it...you may certainly add or subtract ingredients according to your taste):

2 tbsp olive oil
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chopped into bite-size pieces
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 tbsp minced garlic
1-2 ribs celery, sliced
2-3 stalks asparagus, chopped into 1 inch pieces
1/2 medium zucchini, diced
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup frozen green beans
1 tsp red curry powder
salt & pepper to taste
hummus
pita pocket bread


In a skillet, heat oil and cook chicken, onion, and garlic until chicken is cooked through.  Add all other vegetables, curry powder, and salt & pepper and continue cooking in covered skillet, stirring occasionally, until veggies are tender.

Spread hummus inside of pita pocket, then fill with heaping spoonfuls of the veggie/chicken mixture.

Or, if you're a picky preschooler, place onto compartmentalized plate so that nothing touches.

Bless the food...even if you're Optimus Prime.

Enjoy.
(He ate every last bite...and so did I!)

5 comments:

  1. Yum! I will have to try that. I *love* the pic of him praying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm... That does look good! Pita pockets are a good change. Love them with chicken salad.

    I also love the picture of him praying :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks Yummy! I wanted to stop by to let you know there is something waiting for you at anotherdayanotherdiaper-mom.blogspot.com. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fantastic!! I WILL have to make this soon. It will make a great lunch as the I will be in the same boat in two weeks when the girls get out of school. I love your photos and your sense of humor. Favorite photo..."Optimus Prime" praying. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made this many times since this post...I sometimes have to leave out a veggie if I don't have it in the fridge...but now I add about a cup of chicken broth and about a cup of sour cream, then serve it over egg noodles. So YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Feel free to follow me, too!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.