3.15.2011

Project 64: Scarlet

Every week, I eagerly anticipate the color reveal for the following week, and often I'm left perplexed by the task of actually finding something in that color.  I search and search until I finally find one tiny little speck of that color in something that is halfway photogenic.  Well, I'm here to tell you that was not the case with scarlet.  I had to stop myself, in fact.  The "teacher's pet" assignment, as I lovingly refer to it, is to capture this week's color in the mundane...ordinary, everyday objects that surround us which typically get overlooked.  Again, not a problem.  As a stay-at-home mom, these four walls are forever closing in on me, so it was a neat concept for me to look around my home for inspiration in plain ol' stuff.  Here's what I found:


While fixing Wyatt's dinner, I noticed that the sliced strawberries shone scarlet red!  They tasted pretty amazing, too...I snuck in a few bites.  My hubby walked into the kitchen and caught me taking this photo...he continually forgets about P64, and I'm pretty sure that he tunes out the frequency of my voice anytime I speak a chain of more than 5 syllables...needless to say, he questioned my sanity for the thousandth time that day.  My response is always the same, "I may be crazy, but you married me, so what's that make you?"

Getting the boy ready for bed, reaching for the same tube of toothpaste I've reached for time and time again, guess what, there was our color again!

I'd like to say that I have a maid who does all of our laundry and that I couldn't even tell you what our laundry room (more like a depressing closet, actually) looks like.  Alas, that would be a big fib.  Doing what seems like the millionth load of laundry for the week, I noticed that I favor scarlet-colored laundry products. 
By the way, I had to wipe clean my washing machine to take this shot...isn't that the ultimate irony?...cleaning something that cleans things?

On my way into my closet to get dressed, I again was delighted by a burst of scarlet.  This is one of my all-time favorite paintings in my house.  I bought it for $1 at a garage sale years ago.  It was unframed and covered in a nasty nicotine film.  It is oil on wood, so I weighed the risks of cleaning it myself.  Once I overcame the possibility of wasting a whole dollar if I ruined it, I scrubbed the tar out of it (pun totally intended) and it came out beautifully. 

I think this is my favorite of all of the scarlet photos.  This is one side of my jewelry box, edited for content just for this photo...seriously, I have far too much jewelry.  I guess that happens when you make it for a living.  Anyhoo, the piece at center is one of my most cherished.  And it's the perfect shade of scarlet.

Not one to quit while I'm ahead, I spotted one of the hubby's books with the week's color splattered across it.  He'll be proud to know he's contributed in some little way.

And not one to be outdone, the boy refused to pick up the playroom after a particularly disastrous romp.  While grumbling to myself and shoveling a path to the curtains on my daily trip to let in the shun-shine, I realized that Pooky was just trying to help me with my photography project.

This last one is the definition of everyday and mundane to me.  Since Pooh was tiny, he's had horrific allergies.  HORRIFIC.  This is our daily barrage of meds that keep him from being a full-on snot factory.  When it's peak allergy season, we have to add a saline rinse and nasal spray.  Fun times.
All of that cheeriness aside, the label is scarlet.

I realize that I'm pretty premature with this post, but I have lots of plans this week, so I thought I'd just get it out of the way now.  There is one great plus:  you get to help me pick which photo to submit as the official entry!

8 comments:

  1. No fair! So far I've come up empty handed on scarlet. :( Hmm, wait a minute, I have lots of meds bottles. Maybe...
    It's funny, that I too have to declutter or dust when I get ready to shoot an image. I know what's important-reading, writing & photography! Lots more important than chores. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. That's a tough one. They all look spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! So much scarlet, the one that stood out to me is the laundry, lol, probably because I have a huge pile I need to fold and a ton I need to wash...love them all, you were quite the color hunter this week, thanks for playing along at project 64!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them all! And I can just hear your discussion with Jason about your sanity... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm your newest follower and fellow jewelry lover!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found someone else who says "anyhoo"...Yay. Your home is filled with scarlet. How wonderful. I'm still on the look out at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love all your "everyday" finds!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Strawberries are an excellent choice for the color! Hope you enjoyed eating them after the shot. Too sad about your little one's allergies. Hope it's a mild season.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Feel free to follow me, too!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.