5.13.2011

Baking Cookies in a Thunderstorm

Blogger had a hissy fit yesterday and erased this post...I love these cookies, and they're so worth passing along, so I thought I'd give it another whirl.

Because I never buy sweets at the grocery store, I sometimes have to rummage through my baking goods and invent cookies with what I've got on hand.  On occasion, I'll consult my Big Cookie Cookbook, but it always calls for weird ingredients that I've never heard of or has more than two or three steps, and since I'm a lazy cook, I just make up my own recipe loosely based on one from the book.  These "macaroons" are just one such example.

2 egg whites
1/4 tsp almond extract
2 tbsp flour
2 cups flaked coconut
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans (or almonds)
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
1.  In medium mixing bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until frothy and foamy.  Add sugar, flour, and extract.  Mix until well blended.
2.  Stir in chocolate chips, coconut, and nuts until well mixed.
3.  Place heaping spoonfuls onto baking sheet (lightly greased or use parchment paper) about 2 inches apart.  Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until golden brown.
 4.  If there have been dark, ominous clouds rolling in during steps 1-3, you should probably check the forecast right about now.  I didn't.  I just assumed that we were going to get a few sprinkles and that would be that.
 Then THIS happened.  We got something like 2 inches of rain in half an hour, preceeded by hail.  We lost electricity for about 15 minutes, probably due to the 60mph winds.  Here's the view from the front door of the torrent's effects on my landscaping:
 The cookies had only been in the oven for about 5 minutes when the power went out, so they cooled back down and flattened out.  When the power finally came back on, I decided to just keep them in there until they were golden brown.  These are the ugliest cookies I've ever made.  But they still tasted delicious.  So delicious, in fact, that I devoured them all within 12 hours.  I only had a little help from the hubby and boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Feel free to follow me, too!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.