5.30.2011

Frittata? Yes, Please!

Recently I've been dying for some new recipes.  We never eat out...ever...so even though my repertoire is quite large, I get bored not only eating the same things, but also I tire of cooking the same old things.  At a garage sale a couple of weeks ago, I bought 20 cooking magazines for only $2 and I've been perusing them fastidiously since.  I've earmarked about a million recipes, but I just couldn't wait to try this one.  Of course, I totally tweaked it from the original because it called for stuff that our small-town Wally World has never heard of (tarragon, for instance).  Let me just say that this is hands down the most delicious thing I've eaten in a very, very long time.  Here's the recipe for my version:

10 eggs
3 tbsp milk
salt & pepper to taste
3-4 tbsp dried parsley (I never measure anything, sorry)
1 small onion, chopped
8 strips bacon
2 small potatoes, very thinly sliced (I use yukon gold, so I don't peel them)
1 small tomato, diced
2 cups shredded cheese of your choice (I used monterey jack)


  1. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and parsley.  Set aside.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. In an oven-proof skillet, cook bacon until it is cooked through, but not crispy.  Drain all but about 2 tbsp of grease, and tear bacon into rough chunks.  Add potatoes and onion and cook covered until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
  3. Spread out potato and bacon mixture to evenly coat skillet.  Sprinkle cheese evenly over top.
  4. Pour egg mixture over top, making sure to evenly distribute it over surface of potatoes & cheese.  Sprinkle tomatoes over the top.
  5. Pop into oven for 20 minutes, or until eggs are set.  Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Not only is this delicious, but it's a whollup of protein, and it's super cheap to make!  Wyatt even ate it!

3 comments:

  1. that looks incredibly delicious!! always looking for new recipes and we all love every one of those ingredients (except, my husband claims he's "allergic" to tomatoes, ha ha). i could make his without though. i also love cooking and trying new recipes. i have a pile of magazines to go through this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds and looks delicious!
    Congrats on being a winner last week - I loved yours!

    I finally found a way around Blogger not letting me comment here. :)
    I've been here but couldn't comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum -- I need to try this! See ya Cindy! XOXO

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Feel free to follow me, too!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.