5.29.2011

If Men Ruled the World: A Recipe

I'd like to preface this post by telling you a couple of things:
I love my mother-in-law.
I am a good cook.
I cook every single meal we eat.  Every single day.
I cook healthy meals 90% of the time.
I love my husband.

Okay, now on to the recipe.  Jason calls it Hamburger Gravy.  I call it a heart attack on a plate...or poor-people food...either is a good descriptive term.  Not that I have any preconceived notions about poor people...I came from very humble roots...just sayin'.  Jason grew up eating this meal, and his entire family loves it.  When she was giving me the recipe a little bit ago, she mentioned that she still makes this about once a week.  I thought I'd throw the hubby a bone and fix it for him tonight since he always tries all of my frou-frou recipes that I find in magazines.  Looks a bit like pig slop, but it actually tastes pretty delicious!  And it took all of 15 minutes to prepare! 

What you'll need:
Buttered mashed potatoes, seasoned to your taste. (I use yukon gold & leave the skins on)
Buttered corn seasoned to taste (drained of juice & butta).
1 lb hamburger meat
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups water
2 tsp corn starch
Season salt and pepper to taste...gotta be Lowry's!

In a skillet, brown hamburger meat and onion.  Season with season salt and pepper.  If grease is excessive, drain all but about 2 tbsp, otherwise, leave it.  Add water and cornstarch (you'll need to mix the cornstarch into the cold water thoroughly before you add it).  Let simmer on low heat until gravy forms.
Meanwhile, prepare your mashed potatoes and corn (as little or as much as you need for your crowd).  Place potatoes on plate and flatten out.  Cover with hamburger gravy.  Sprinkle with drained corn. 
Last but not least:  remember to add your cardiologist to your Christmas card list.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by to my blog and leaving a lovely comment. - Yes I painted this trees.
    - Your recipe looks yummy, yummy,
    LG Tina

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Feel free to follow me, too!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.