5.20.2011

LEM Photo Challenge: Water

The other day at the new park in town (can I still call it new if it's almost a year old?), I thought I'd play around a bit with shutter priority.  I always shoot in aperture priority because it usually suits my purposes much better, and to be honest, unless it's super sunny outside, I can't seem to find that sweet spot in manual or shutter priority that lets enough light in to take a good picture.  Hey, at least I'm trying, right? 

Anyhoo, the giant pond in the park has a huge fountain in the middle of it.  I like this shot the best out of the four or five I took...the shutter speed was up in the thousands, so all of the water droplets look individually suspended in the air.  I'm submitting this one for LEM's photo challenge this week.

For this next one, I slowed it way down to about 1/15 and the water has a really soft look to it.  I think I really like this look, but because it was so incredibly windy, the background is too blurry.  Plus, all of the extra light allowed in really overexposed it.  But I'm starting to get the idea.  I suppose I could've switched over to manual and controlled both the aperture and shutter to eliminate this problem, but there's always next time.

I'm not over-the-top in love with either of these photos, but I'm trying to branch out of my comfort zone a bit.  I'm hoping that by linking up to all of my favorite photo blog contests, I'll constantly be challenged to grow and learn.  Thanks for letting me think out loud, er, in type for this blog entry!


7 comments:

  1. Great idea! Love the unexpected angle on the 1st one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice photos! I am just starting to play with my "features" on my camera! Have fun experimenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots! I like being able to see the contrast with a fast and slow shutter speed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One step at a time is my motto, especially with my camera. I love that first shot immensely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice captures, love water fountains!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Feel free to follow me, too!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.