7.21.2011

My First Creative Edit

For my 30th birthday last October, I bought myself a Canon Rebel.  I had no idea how to use it, as I was completely ignorant about DSLR cameras, but I just kept pushing buttons and adjusting settings until I figured out what did what.  Then I read the manual, which helped significantly.  Then I took a class at a local hobby shop that opened my eyes even more to my new gadget.
After a couple of months, I was comfortable outside of auto mode, and I started getting really wonderful SOOC shots.  I joined a few photo blogs that have broadened my knowledge of the art as well, not to mention that they've gotten me far out of my comfort zone.  I have learned SO MUCH, and I have the girls at Project 64: Outside the Box, Ashley over at Ramblings and Photographs, Tara from Live Every Moment, sweet Casey with One Day at a Time, Audrey Sue at The Daily Wyatt, and last but not least, Chelsey of The Paper Mama to thank for it!  Many other bloggers have taught me great things here or there, but these are the girls I cannot go a day without checking in on!  Kisses and Hugs to you all.
For Christmas, I bought myself Photoshop Elements 9 thinking, "how hard could it be?"  I'm really the type that just clicks stuff to see what happens, so I didn't think it would be too complicated.  Well, I was wrong.  Dead wrong.  I was so overwhelmed and intimidated that I had all but given up on creative editing.  Then one day, one of the most wonderful women in the world, Kendall Johns, became my hero by coming over to the house to give me a one-on-one tutorial.  She also brought along with her some fabulous actions, plus helped me to download countless more!  It's crazy how simple she made it all look, and now I am gaining real confidence with my edits!  Enough so that I want to share this one with the world! 

I took this photo several months ago.  This is Kaelyn, the twin daughter of my dear friend Kim over at My Kids are Freaks.  It has been nagging at me to edit it since I uploaded it onto my harddrive, but alas, I had no clue where to begin.  Today, I took a stab at it, and I love the result!  Please go easy on me...remember, this is my very first attempt at a creative edit with Photoshop!


SOOC

FINAL EDIT

Here's what I did (that I can remember!):
Cropped
Removed Kim's body and Kaelyn's hand from photo with clone stamp (sorry Kim, your tush had to go!)
Cleaned up her face using clone stamp, healing brush, and Paint the Moon's Baby Soft Skin
Added Pioneer Woman's Sunshine and played with opacity
Added Paint the Moon's The Works
Added Pioneer Woman's Lovely and Ethereal
Added PW's Edge Burn and played with opacity

1 comment:

  1. So glad you're stepping out of your comfort zone - I think learning a program like PSE takes time. I certainly produced a lot of bad edits as I learned but you'll figure it all out. Great job with your edit - it's nice, soft, and warm...and more but that's what first came to mind. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Feel free to follow me, too!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.