7.04.2011

What I Did on My Summer Vacation

Vacations before Wyatt came along were very different.  First of all, I never needed a vacation; we just had time and money, so why not?  Second, it actually was a total vacation; I was only responsible for my own entertainment, rest, food, etc.  That said, nothing beats seeing the total excitement and wonder in your child's eyes as he experiences new places and things.  Nothing. 

As with every other vacation I've ever been on, this one was a learning experience.  I took away from our brief stay in Galveston much more knowledge of American history, but more importantly, I discovered a little more about what it is to be a mom to a curious little boy. 

Like, for instance, how much better powdered donuts taste....
....when this is the view you're enjoying while you eat them:
The view didn't do much to erase the taste of backwash from every drink I had on the entire trip.  Guess that's one of those special "mom things" I've just got to get used to.

Another interesting tidbit I never knew about Pooky:  he can spot the Weiner Mobile from a mile away...almost literally.  Look closely in the parking lot in front of the Battleship Texas.  It's there, I promise.
We were at the top of the San Jacinto Monument, which is the tallest monument in the U.S.  Yup, it's even taller than the Washington Monument in D.C. 
It stands on the battlefield where Sam Houston led the Texas Revolution to defeat General Santa Anna's army.  Pretty amazing stuff...only two Texans died in the 20 minute long battle, but over 600 Mexicans were killed and over 700 were taken prisoner.  As a result of the loss, Santa Anna called off the rest of his armies and Texas ended up winning her independence from Mexico.

Here she is, in all her glory:  The Battleship Texas
She was in commission from 1914-1948 and is being fully restored as a museum.

Something else I gleaned from our trip:  you don't want to be on the receiving end of a bullet that is bigger than my taller-than-average 4 1/2 year old kid.  Whoa.
 And nowadays, things aren't made so precisely as they used to be, or by hand.  The deckboards running the entire length of the ship were fitted together using wooden pegs. 
 I figured out that it is just as hot and steamy three levels down into the belly of a battleship as it is up top.  And that my little boy can find every dangerous nook and cranny on board without any assistance.  Here we are, waiting for Jason to come back up from the engine bay...which was beyond my safety threshhold for a skirt-wearin' Momma chasing a lunatic child.
Notice the glisten all over us?  That's real sweat...I didn't photoshop that in.
 And speaking of skirts...not exactly the best wardrobe choice I've ever made.  These "staircases" were more like ladders than anything, and as luck would have it, Wyatt and Jason climbed all of the way to the tippy top of the ship.  It wasn't a big deal getting up there, but Wyatt couldn't manage the trip down on his own, so I had to descend about 100 steps backwards while holding him with one hand and the rail with the other.  Pretty sure all of the tourists on deck below us know what brand of underwear I prefer.
We had fun though, so I guess that's all that matters.
And the hugeness of everything on this ship gave me a new perspective with Pooh...he's still my little buddy and isn't a big kid...yet.
As evidenced by the first nap he's taken in over two years.  Yup, still my baby. 
He fell asleep once more in the car...after 9 hours of driving on the way home...only to be awoken by a train's horn while we were sitting at a stop light.  Fabulous.  When he's not sleeping, he's talking.  And asking questions.  And not easy questions, either.  Stuff like, "how do trees eat?" and "why do we eat dead animals?" and "why can we see the moon during the day but not the sun at night?"  And my kid isn't satisfied with a softball answer...you've gotta give him details, or he'll just figure out a new way to ask the same question four hundred times.

The next day, we went to the Space Center in Houston.  Total disappointment.  It was extremely chaotic and disorganized.  The very small wing of the complex that contains space artifacts was nice, but there really just wasn't much.  Definitely wasn't worth the small fortune it cost to get in (plus you pay to park).  More or less, the entire place is a giant playground for kids...rock climbing walls and carnival-type games.  Plus two gift shops.  And not set up for a self-guided tour at all.  Bummer, because all three of us were super pumped about exploring NASA.
And that's all I have to say about that.


That afternoon, and all of the next day, we played at the beach.  Nothing disappointing about that.

Seaweed is pretty.  I like looking at it, I like photographing it.  I do NOT, however, like having it wrap around my ankles while standing in the surf.  Heebie jeebies.

All in all, this mini-vacation with my hubby and son taught me a lot of things, not the least of which is that I am very loved, and I love the two of them very much, too.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you guys had a great time. I love the next to last shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love teh silly picture of your son second to last! So cute and colorful!! This looks like a fun vacation!!! I am SOOOOOOOOO sorry that I haven't been around in ages. I am actually regressing more and more in regards to having time to visit blogs. It's so hard to balance it all so I apologize for so little comments!! How are you doing friend?? Hope you guys had a great 4th of July! xo

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Feel free to follow me, too!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.