9.20.2011

Oh My Beans!

Hello everyone!  I've missed blogging over the past few weeks, but this recipe is too good to keep to myself!  Bonus:  it's a crockpot dish, so you just set it and forget it!  I totally made this up as I went, so I am ever so thankful that I wrote it all down!  In case you're wondering...yes, I do photograph lots of meals every step of the way, then they turn out awful, so I just delete the images.



First of all, you'll need to put a can of chicken broth, a can of fire-roasted tex mex style diced tomatoes, and a 7oz can of chopped green chiles into your crockpot.

Then, in a large stock pot, bring some water to a rapid boil and quick soak half a pound of navy beans and half a pound of pinto beans (to quick soak, you just dump the dry beans into the boiling water and let them boil for about 5 minutes).  Once they're soaked, drain and rinse, then add to the crockpot.

Add 4-5 chopped green onions (or one small onion).

Add about 3/4 lb of bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces.  It'd be best to separate the slices from one another before you drop'em into the crock pot.

Add about 1 1/2 cups of water, plus a clove or two of chopped garlic and about a tablespoon of ground cumin.  If you like some real heat, you can add a few slices of jalepenos...but it's already pretty spicy, so skip if you want it milder.  Set the crockpot to low and let it cook for 4-5 hours.

About an hour before serving, stir about 1/4-1/2 cup of fresh chopped cilantro into the pot.  Go ahead, relish in the incredible aroma that is now permeating your entire house.

After the cilantro has cooked for about an hour, spoon into bowls and dive in.  This is even better with fresh, buttery cornbread...just sayin'.  

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I can't wait to try this. I made almost the same recipe with ham instead of bacon and water instead of stock, but your recipe sounds better. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Feel free to follow me, too!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.