3.03.2012

Cream of Chicken Soup...from scratch!

I wish I had thought to take a picture last night before we completely devoured the entire pot of soup, but necessity forced me to invent something for dinner last night.  You see, it's grocery-shopping time again, and I find myself procrastinating as usual.  Six months ago, I would've had a huge repertoire of one-pot dinners that I could throw together in a jiffy from the randomness in our pantry, but Jason's diabetes eliminates almost everything we used to eat because of the carb counts.

Thankfully, I always have a fridge full of produce, and I keep frozen chicken breasts on hand at all times.  Here's the recipe for the homemade cream of chicken soup that I came up with...I highly recommend it as it is unbelievably simple, and so delicious!

I can tell you it's very low carb, and you can reduce the fat by using low-fat sour cream (and less of it). 

1 tbsp olive oil
2 chicken breasts
1 onion, diced
1 tsp chicken seasoning (optional)
1 can chicken broth  (I also added two chicken buillon cubes for extra flavor)
1 cup water
3-4 ribs celery, sliced
2-3 carrots, thinly sliced
1/2 to 1 cup frozen peas
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb sour cream
parsley (fresh or dried, to taste)
salt & pepper

1.  In a large skillet on medium heat, cook chicken in olive oil with onions until chicken is cooked through.  Season with chicken seasoning if desired.  Cut chicken into bite-sized chunks or shred.
2.  Meanwhile, in large pot over medium heat, add broth, water, celery, carrots, peas and garlic.  Bring to boil until veggies start to tender, then reduce to a simmer.  Add cooked, cut chicken and onions.
3.  Add sour cream and parsley.   Stir well to blend sour cream into broth.  Let simmer until heated through again.  Salt and pepper to taste.



1 comment:

  1. I have to say that that sounds SO SO delish right now and since I have already have dinner that is saying even more! :). YUM. I will add this to my recipe list!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Feel free to follow me, too!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.