3.15.2012

Easy Chicken Tacos

So, the other day we were running way behind...what a surprise...and as dinnertime neared, I realized that all of the meals I had planned for the week required at least an hour of prep + cooking/baking time.  No bueno. 

Being the resourceful nut that I am, and being way too hungry for a pb & j, I rummaged through our fridge and came up with this quick little dinner.  I know nothing about this is ground-breaking, but the hubby and I gobbled it up and decided that it would be added to the regular rotation, so I thought it was at least worth passing along!  Bonus:  it's low-carb (if you use low-carb tortillas)!

Olive oil
1 small bell pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 8-oz bag of pre-cooked fajita chicken striped, cut into bite sized chunks
1/2 cup frozen corn (you can use more, but we needed to keep the carbs low)
*1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained (not pictured, but I would normally add them)
*Cilantro (I didnt' have any this day, but oooo, it would be yummy in this dish!)
1 tomato, diced
Cumin
Salt & pepper
Tortillas
*Sour cream

* denotes optional ingredients

1.  In a skillet on medium heat, cook onions and peppers in olive oil (about a tbsp or so) until the onions start to get clear.  Add chicken, corn, and beans if you're using them.
2.  Once heated through, add cilantro, tomato, and about a tbsp of cumin...more or less to taste.  Also add any salt & pepper if you think it needs it.  Cook on medium heat until tomatoes start to fall apart.
3.  Spread sour cream onto center of tortilla, then scoop chicken mixture onto tortilla by heapful.  Enjoy!

Just a thought:  I imagine this would be delicious served over spanish rice.  Or wrapped up in a big ol' burrito flour tortilla with rice.  Or on a pizza crust with taco sauce as the sauce and fiesta cheese.  Oh my goodness.

I know this isn't the most appetizing of photos...and forgive the paper plate...it had been a long day. 
Trust me, they taste divine.

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I love meals where you just throw it all in a skillet!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Feel free to follow me, too!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.