3.08.2012

Tutorial Tuesday: Silhouettes

Some things are just meant to be captured in silhouette, don't ya think?  My longtime, sweet friend Jessica's ample preggo belly is just one of those things!


I know it may not look like it in this shot, but the doorway was flooding in TONS of sunlight on that morning.  I used my 50mm 1.8 to take this shot.  I stood way back...about 15 feet away.
I set the aperture to 2.8, which probably was a bit too open, but I really wanted her to be very defined, and when I raised the f/stop any higher, the outside backdrop got too dark.
I set my ISO to 400, and my shutter speed to 1/3200....so that the exposure wasn't blown out too bright.  I literally fiddled with the settings for three or four shots until I got the formula just right...I'm sure there's a much better way to do this, but I think I finally got the results I wanted, even if I did do it the hard way.
To edit this shot, literally all I did was convert it to black and white...the painted yellow bricks of the porch, a flag, and the greenery distracted from her figure a bit much for me...and I cloned out a horizontal bar that was in the storm door. 

Lionel Richie's "Isn't she lovely?" comes to mind.  LOL!


Tutorial Tuesday

7 comments:

  1. I really love this - I eventually want to do one of myself this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much looking forward to seeing it! I am still awed by your ability to take such wonderful selfies. Do you have a remote for your camera? I can never get the focus right!

      Delete
  2. great job! And a great example of getting a silhouette without being near a horizon line! I'm doing my first maternity shoot in a couple weeks and I hope to get some silhouettes like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, LOVE pregnant bellies! You captured her beautifully :) Something to try: You could set your camera to spot meter and meter off the light coming in through the door to set your aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. You did awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful shot, arn't you glad she was a willing model.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous shot. and your friend must love it - especially as it looks as though she hasn't got too long to go now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love it. I wish I would have done that while I was pregnant.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Feel free to follow me, too!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.