4.07.2012

Stacked Mexican Casserole

This meal requires two skillets and a casserole dish in the oven...but it's totally worth the dirty dishes because it is gooooooooood.  I adapted this recipe from one I found in Better Homes and Gardens last year.  I had to eliminate some carbs, so I use corn tortillas instead of flour, I omit the corn from the original recipe and replace it with red peppers, and I nix a final layer of tortillas on top.  Plus, I seasoned mine differently...so I guess you could say I just used their recipe as a jumping off point.

Here's what you need:
1-lb ground beef
1/2 can black beans, rinsed & drained (you can use more, I just needed low-carb)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 sweet yellow pepper, chopped
1 sweet red pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup green salsa
6-8 corn tortillas (depends upon size of your casserole dish)
1 cup shredded cheese, divided
salt & pepper
cumin
chili powder
cilantro (optional)
taco seasoning
ground red pepper
sour cream (optional, but you'll want it, trust me)
chopped tomatoes and black olives (optional, but so yummy)

Here's what you do:
1.  Preheat oven to 375. 
2.  In one skillet over medium heat, brown beef then drain.  Add beans until heated through.  Add cilantro if you're using it (however much you like...I like a lot).  Season to your taste with taco seasoning...I use it sparingly since the other mixture has so much seasoning in it...about a tsp is fine.  Also, you may add salt & pepper if you wish....just a dash.
3.  In another skillet at the same time (you can do it!), cook red and yellow peppers with onions and garlic until everything is nice and tender.  Add green salsa, about a tbsp of cumin, a tsp of chili powder, and as much or as little ground red pepper as you can stand.
4.  Spray the bottom of your casserole dish (I used a 2.5 quart sized dish).  Tear up a few corn tortillas and layer the bottom of the dish with them.  Add beef and bean mixture.  Top with an even layer of shredded cheese...about half a cup, more or less. 
5.  Add another layer of torn tortillas, then the pepper mixture.  Add the remaining cheese for an even layer (you have my permission to go beyond the prescribed one cup total...I did).
6.  Pop it in the oven for about 10-15 minutes until the cheese is all melty.  Mmmmm. 
7.  Serve with sour cream and chopped tomatoes and olives.  Try not to choke while you're shoveling it in.  Seriously.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Feel free to follow me, too!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.